Wednesday, May 11, 2011

If It Were Only A Dream...

In my Philosophy class we have been discussing Socrates and Descartes since the beginning of the term and until now I have been kind of bored with the matter. We began mid last week discovering what is and is not real based on these people's opinions and nothing could hold my attention better.
Have you ever had a dream and woke up believing that in the dream you had been fully awake? How do we know right now that we aren't merely taking part in that? Descartes believes that this goes unanswered; however, we must begin at the foundation to describe what may and may not be real. At the base, we must first know that we exist. Descartes believes that we can trust this because we doubt. Doubting being a form of thinking. Things that think is that which we, as humans, are broken down.
This thought process has thrown me since last week. I can only think what is and is not real. I have began to think, beyond the class what this might mean. I am constantly thinking and questioning what is and what is not. I am perplexed to say the least and can not seem to put down the book until I am sure of one thing; whether or not I am real and the life I live is real.
I do not think that my life is necessarily a dream, but I can't help but to question. I love to not know and don't get me wrong, I am interested in this topic, but I will not panic and think about this the rest of my life. I am curious to know the answer, but I truly won't ever reach a straightforward solution.

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you. I wonder the same thing, could this all be a dream, are we really living this or is it a dream!!! How will we ever no for sure? How do we know that were no in a comma and think were living when in reality it's a dream and the reason we won't wake up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. philosophy is one of my favorite subjects. I like the critical thinking element of it and i feel there is no right or wrong outlook, just thoughts and ideas.

    ReplyDelete