Wednesday, May 4, 2011

An Advance?

The recent death of Osama Bin Laden has struck the interests and hearts of many (almost all) Americans. Whether an individual is celebrating or mourning the loss of this man, all are affected by the news. Monday morning I listened to the radio on my way home from school. It was like any other day, mostly conversation by the hosts rather than music. But then I realized the topics were all political. I decided to listen to each to hear what they had to say.
On 99.1 all the callers that phoned in seemed indefinitely overjoyed and ecstatic with the news. Soldiers were calling in, telling their stories of Iraq, and their satisfaction with the termination of this man. Families of soldiers who were killed in the war called in and stated, "This is what we (and our relatives) fought for, and we can not be happier with the results."Some cheered and some wept with joy.
I then listened to 102.9, this was a whole other world. One lady called in and argued, "We are acting just like them now, like a third world country, we are celebrating a death. This is what they did after the suicide bombers, celebrated the death of Americans, we are no better." This shocked me, I do not agree with this statement at all and I changed the radio station.
Next I turned to 97.9 and 94.5, these had mixed opinions and I was content listening to them for the rest of my trip. I have mixed opinions about the death. I can't say that I am overly joyed, but I am not mourning in the least.

No comments:

Post a Comment