Tuesday, April 26, 2011

The World of Facebook

I am fortunately and unfortunately a Facebook user. I was very reluctant to join the network and give up my Myspace account, but once I did (and got accustomed to the new site) I was very happy and excited for the new advances. Like anything else that technology develops, some people fall victim to addiction and Facebooking is no exception. I see time after time kids start on a page of notes for a class and quickly revert to Facebook in another window. Constantly reading status updates, wall posts, starting IM conversations, until the class flies right past them and they don't consume a single piece of information. I am sad to say that in my first quarter this did happen to me, however, I now am very aware of the horrible impact this kind of networking can have on an individual in these circumstances. We pay good money for these classes, so why sit on Facebook when we can do that after the class and any other time?
Because the other window open on my screen is Facebook, I can tell you that I have 610 friends. Considering I only have maybe 20 friends that I constantly speak to and maybe 20 more that are family, this amount is just ridiculous and excessive. I just can't seem to get rid of the people I don't talk to, not sure why but it isn't harming me any. I have also been warned many MANY times by my mother that it is important that I avoid posting vulgar or questionable material on my page because of future job opportunities. I am also in a sorority, and it is very important for Nationals and for our chapter that we show just how classy and reserved we are. I think it is very inappropriate and I do believe that people look down on those who use Facebook in a crude manner.
I am not concerned with companies who search Facebook profiles in order to gain personal information about a potential employee. I say this simply because my profile is clean and I have always been aware of the effects that this behavior can have on an individual. If and when I ever have my own business, I will most likely use this approach. Not as my only qualifier, but it will play a part in my choosing of my employees, mostly because what you post on Facebook shows what you want the world to think about you. 
I will end on a positive. Businesses and television stations that have entered the world of Facebook are joining what can only be described as an advance in media coverage. They are getting the word out to not only viewers, television owners, and other businesses they work with, but the entire world. Facebook can either be a positive or a detrimental advantage made in the fast paced world of technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment